I am an administrator at the Simply Tux Forum. But I have never used any of the Linux operating systems before. Here's why:
- I'm worried it will screw up my computer.
- I don't know how to keep my files.
- I don't know if my gadgets will work.
- I don't have the technical knowledge.
- I don't know which Linux OS to start with.
- There's something besides Windows?
- How good can something free really be?
- What if I don't like Linux? Will I lose Windows?
- Can I have more than one operating system?
But I've decided to take the plunge. I am going to try Linux. I've enlisted the help of a tech genius to help me use Linux without messing up my computer...without losing my Windows operating system...and to prevent me from throwing the computer out the window should something go wrong! :p
Even with a tech genius standing by, I am more than a bit worried. I am afraid I will mess up my computer beyond repair, and/or lose my files, and I am not even sure I will like Linux. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained.I have chosen Ubuntu 8.10 to begin my journey into the Linux world. Ubuntu is widely considered the most user-friendly of all the Linux operating systems. I will be running it off a live CD, so I will not be installing anything on my PC just yet. I'll save the option of dual-booting (having two operating systems on my computer) for a later date.
I will make regular entries journalling my experience with Linux. I intend to be blatantly honest, without regard to my position at a Linux forum. The purpose of the Simply Tux forum is to show the average PC user that there is an alternative to Windows. Therefore, I have taken that mission statement seriously, and have decided to leave my comfort zone and try something new with the aid of the Linux experts from the Simply Tux Forum.

No comments:
Post a Comment